aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Thursday, July 12, 2007

a burden lifted

Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.
In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat--
for he grants sleep to those he loves.
--Psalm 127:1-2

As many of you know, I've been preparing a sermon to preach in German this Sunday at Christuskirche, a small German church in Glendale; and as most of you suspect, mein Deutsch ist nict so gut. Over the last two weeks especially, this has been an all-consuming project and a huge weight on my mind.

Yesterday I spoke with Doris, the church secretary. As it turns out, most of the members speak English more fluently than German, but attend in order to regain and nurture their cultural heritage. On a typical Sunday, the pastor preaches in German while an English translation of the message appears on the overhead. The person who operates the visual equipment told Doris recently that he would be gone this Sunday, so she suggested to me that if I would simply preach in English I would have better luck communicating with the group as a whole and make her job a lot easier. I have gladly complied.

Whatever embarrassment or disappointment this change in direction might bring me is more than atoned for by a sense of utter relief. I really don't see this as a failure. My main goal was to stretch my German skills, and that have I certainly done. By now I have well surpassed any abilities I had a couple of months ago. To prepare and preach an entire sermon in German, however, is still a little further beyond the boundaries that I would be able to cross within the next several days. By now what I want most is to bring the community something instructive and encouraging from the Scriptures and to communicate it clearly, speaking from a place of grace and calm, and not from a place of anxiety. I will do that much better in English. I slept well last night.

Otherwise, I'm having a bit more difficulty than I often communicate. When people ask how I'm doing, I automatically give a response that focuses on the positive and avoid saying too much about the more troubling things that afflict my mind and body. This is not entirely evasive, since being with other people tends to build me up and take my mind off my own problems. The truth, however, is that I badly want to be prayed with and prayed for, to confess my struggles, fears and sins to another human being who will listen, bear them with me, and point me back to Christ. It's not that God hasn't given me an abundance of such friends. I simply tend to hold back from them.

My blood pressure still gets low enough that when I say I'm out of energy I don't simply mean that I feel like taking a nap in the afternoon; I mean that often I can't stand up long enough to do the dishes or vacuum the floor. Moreover, it appears that I may need to change to an entirely different set of drugs, whose known side effects could include an inability to eat or drink anything cold, a particularly formidable scenario in the middle of a Pasadena summer. I'll find out in early August. These things by no means constitute my whole reality. There are times when I feel energetic enough for a brisk morning walk, when I can relax my mind and heart, when any sense of fear or victimization are far away from me. But I do ask for people's prayers. I just don't ask often or candidly enough.

I should clarify. What I absolutely do not need right now are suggestions or words of advice. There is a time to evaluate and fix someone's problems and a time to walk at someone's side in patient and compassionate silence. A time to cure and a time to care. Nor, really, do I need expressions of grief over my situation. The tragedy is not that I am facing a terminal illness. The tragedy is that I exacerbate my situation by becoming so isolated in my work and fighting so hard against my limitations that my daily tasks turn into a ongoing war against my own self. This is my besetting sin, and I've learned from Scripture and experience that the way forward begins with confession to a brother or sister who will listen, pray, and mediate God's grace to me. What I hunger for right now--and what I am so strangely reluctant to ask for--is that kind of human fellowship. And this is what the body of Christ is for.

15 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

You are certainly in my prayers and in the prayers of my family. You are one of the normal prayer requests for our children.

We love you and Karla, and I pray for both of you frequently.

Corey

13/7/07 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say, My Beloved Son? The thing I want most is for you to be well, and that does not appear to be available. The thing I want next is for you to be at peace. And I know from my own struggle with this, that peace is available, but not easily. During this situation I have certainly learned to pray unceasingly. And I divide my time between grieving and counting my blessings. And sometimes I find peace, and sometimes I don't. And there are still precious moments of laughter and joy. I look forward to sharing some of those with you next weekend. Love you, Mom

13/7/07 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott -- You and Karla are most assuredly in our thoughts and prayers. I think there is a fine line for all of us to make sure you and Karla know that we care and want to "be there for you" and "being a bother". Wish you were here...

13/7/07 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart Scott. As usual, your words are thought-full, challenging, warmed by your keen sense of humor.

We do think of you and pray for both you Karla often, that God will meet your need daily. We miss you, but are so glad you are where God has called you.

Sandy

14/7/07 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your openness. I've been following all along and praying in the background, but now I really know how to pray for you. Thank you for that gift!!!! : ) janey cullison

15/7/07 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott and Karla. I am praying for you today. I hope you have a day in which you feel the arms of the Body of Christ wrapped securely around you.

I love you and am always thinking of you.

Lynne

17/7/07 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,
Thank you for once again giving validity to the one thing I feel I can do. Just be there. After Stephen Ministry training way back when, I remember coming to your office in despair, not knowing what I could possibly say to help two of my closest friends suddenly battling life-threating situations. Your advice to me; just be there. Please know that I'm here, praying, caring, loving from a distance. Wish you were closer so that a hug could be felt but please know that there is one always here for you and Karla.

In the past month since my dad's death, God has shown me His grace, timing and provision in so many ways. Yes, the grief over losses is still there, but intermingled with evidence of His care for all of us, including Dad in his final moments with us. I'm so thankful that we've been granted so many more moments with you and join with a large army in praying for more. You are such a gift to us all.

17/7/07 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas Merton's Prayer of Abandonment

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

(Hi Scott. In case I haven't sent you this prayer by Merton, here it is again. Love from Lynne)

19/7/07 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott.

I'm taking back my "medicinal pot" remarks. I have a "friend" who abuses the non-medical kind, if you know what I mean, and, I'm thinking, IF one is going to be using medical pot, it should probably only be used in the final stage of life. Truly, I'm now embarrassed about suggesting it. Sorry if I gave you false hopes. On the brighter side, prayer DOES seem to work in certain cases, and, I don't think I'm reading into things. You WILL have prayers coming from me and my loved ones for sure, starting... now.
"Dear God in Heaven. Please bring blessing and healing to my childhood friend, George Scott Becker. I KNOW You have the power and glory to do such a thing because You had the power and wisdom to stretch out the vast universe in moments, had the vision to see Jews brought back to the land of Israel and KNEW how it would fulfill Psalm 83 when that occured. YOU, God, ARE a God of miracles. You created self-sacrificing creatures such as salmon, penguins and over-working honey bees that bring pleasure to us giants. It is YOU, God, who says He works "all things to His will and glory". May that involve blessing and healing to one of your creatures, who know doubt, struggles with doubts DUE to his powers of reason that You blessed him with. Intelligence and reason that, still, are so below You, as the Heavenly stars are above the earth. PLEASE heal, your son, George Scott Becker, or, atleast, give him blessing and peace of mind to make the journey into eternity, a rewarding one. We LOVE George Scott Becker, God. Because he's certainly one of us.
And this I pray, in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, the One who died for all. Amen.

19/7/07 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott: Now that you've clearly stated your disinterest in receiving advice, I (as a hopeless contrarian) feel compelled to offer you some. Well, OK, not really advice, just a question. Have you ever thought about supplementing your blogging by meeting your geographically remote friends in an Internet chat room (limited to people you've invited)? I realize that more "chatting" is not exactly what you need; I just wonder whether you might feel our support more strongly if you were interacting with us in real time, rather than transmitting posts into the void and watching the comments trickle in later. Anyway, I'll resume the compassionate silence now....

19/7/07 11:28 PM  
Blogger Glenn said...

Ich bein ein Borg. (I don't know if I spelled that right, and even if I did, the grammar is wrong, since a Borg would never refer to itself in first person.)

Thanks for honest words about how to best talk with you regarding your condition. I admit, it's sometimes hard on "our" end, too, struggling to say the right things without feeling dumb. I left a message on your phone the other day trying to be encouraging, but I suspect I just babbled.

Hope to visit you sometime today (Saturday), but if we can't make it, you're in our thoughts and prayers regardless.

Cheers,
Glenn (& Shanti

21/7/07 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still checking in, Scott.
still praying for comfort, peace, ease, humor, function, clarity, love, love, love --- felt from all these friends and so many more.
you can do it. whatever it is.
Barb L.

24/7/07 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott & Karla, You are thought about and prayed for every day by the 4 of us.The reunion was so special in so many ways.I'm trying to read your blog more often as a way of staying in touch since its the best we can do under the circumstances.Hopefully I'll send you an email every once in a while too. We send heartfelt love and hugs to you both! Carolyn

27/7/07 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The silence is deafening. I long so much to be near you, to talk to you, to love you, and yet, I'm so far away. I'm missing the man who has been so encouraging, challenging and loving to me and my family. Thank you for showing Christ's love to me. You and Karla are in my prayers.
Ted

13/8/07 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

13/11/09 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home