aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Saturday, May 26, 2007

dissertaphobia

The moment is here. For the time being, I’m past the low blood pressures and chemo reactions, I’ve wrapped up my responsibilities at Claremont, and my workload facilitating Fuller’s online ethics course is both light and shared with a coworker—the perfect time to be reminded that the idea of actually sitting down and writing a chapter of my dissertation intimidates the daylights out me.

If anyone asks, yes, I’m working on my dissertation. Specifically, I’m writing the chapter on Chris Marshall, author of Beyond Retribution: A New Testament Vision for Justice, Crime and Punishment and a leader in the effort to gain civil rights for the Maoris in New Zealand—but only if you’ll allow me to use the word “writing” figuratively. In reality, I’m looking up resources online, reading & taking notes on articles that Chris emailed to me from New Zealand journals after I had met with him in Dallas four months ago to pick his brain, and checking out books related to the topic of restorative justice. But when I start to write, I suddenly notice that dishes are waiting to be washed, my desk to be organized, and several emails to be answered.

Years ago, in Seattle, a woman who made most of her living writing poetry and short stories gave me this piece of advice: “Step one: apply ass to chair.” In fact, I’ve gotten that far several times. Once seated, however, I’ve found that I am capable of staring at blank screen for well over an hour. Somehow I’ve pulled it together enough times in the last few years to put out several other drafts and papers, and I’m sure it will come back to me. For now, I have to settle for hyperventilating, quaking in my seat and waking up screaming in the middle of the night.

However, on a related topic, I’ve been getting some invaluable assistance on my Trocmé chapter, which will claim the center of my attention in about 3 months. My friend GM Roe, from Seattle, contacted me a couple of weeks ago with an idea that he had been mulling over for a while. He wants to pull together a team of Francophiles, mostly from Bethany Community Church, to help with the translation Trocmé’s unpublished papers and sermons. In addition, he has contracted with a student in Philadelphia to spend a day next week at the Swarthmore Peace Collection locating and photocopying the specific materials I have in mind. Both GM and Glen Stassen had offered to make detours from upcoming trips to the east coast to do the same thing, but now neither of them will need to do that, and we’ll be able to start translating right away.

I suppose with this many people investing themselves this deeply in my dissertation I’d better start writing, panic-stricken or not.

6 Comments:

Blogger EMC said...

My own writing method consists of two steps: (1) make a mess; (2) clean it up. In other words, I start writing, even if it's garbage. Usually that gets things going.

27/5/07 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another inspirational quote, courtesy of CyrusFarivar.com: "Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the Internet."

As much as we all appreciate your blogging, perhaps you should cut back until that chapter is done?

27/5/07 10:13 PM  
Blogger GM Roe said...

Any francophones out there who would like to help with the translation project? There's PLENTY to go around! If so, please contact me (GM) at g98103@aol.com.

2/6/07 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can certainly relate to this feeling! Having now (at last) finished my thesis, I'm supposed to spend at least part of my summer break working on an article. Ha! I finally started yesterday (for about an hour) and today am...hmmm... spending the morning on the internet and house chores. (Someone once told me that her house was NEVER so clean as when she was writing her dissertation).

The good news is that the writing phase does eventually happen again and this phobia stage is a strange but natural part of the process. You have a few extra hurdles (like this sleeplessness -- I'm hoping you're sleeping even as I'm typing this) but if I know you and your passion for this work, it will eventually pour out of you. I also have the thought that sometimes the blank screen fear is a sign of exhaustion and you may need to just give yourself a break if you can. Come back to it when your mind obsesses on some related idea?

Once when I was about to put my head through a brick wall, a friend came to visit and sat down and had me TALK through my ideas for an hour or two. That really helped get the juices flowing for me and I was able to just do some jotting on a piece of paper (having become totally frustrated by the computer screen) which eventually became an outline for a chapter that just wasn't working beforehand.

Like many others I appear to be focused on giving advice here, but what I most want to say is that I'm reading along and thinking of you. You are in my prayers. Thanks for writing.

~Jen

6/6/07 12:03 PM  
Blogger Dwayne and Denise Need said...

Oh, don't cut back on the blogging, please! I do read all your entries, and a few times a week find myself checking to see if you've updated it. Sometimes you give me a new thought to ponder; sometimes you make me laugh. Usually, you accomplish both. And there's a few entries I swear you could cut and paste into your dissertation--they had that many big words!
A somewhat abashed English teacher,
Denise

6/6/07 10:08 PM  
Blogger Daniel Phillips said...

Preach it, preach it. Hours and hours and hours of staring at a blank screen. And funny how the prospect of writing on the diss suddenly makes grading look like a good time! Have you ever come across "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott before? It explains step two after applying ass to chair. Actually, the whole book is worth a read which gives you something to do other than write. I highly recommend the chapter called "KFKD" too.

to getting it done!

Talinn

3/7/07 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home