aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

At Semester's End

Last week, aside from a few incompletes that will straggle in over the summer, my TA & I completed the grading for the ethics course at Claremont. For all practical purposes, my semester there is finished.

It was a wonderful, albeit taxing, experience. The most challenging part for me was to come to terms with my own parochialism. For the last ten years I’ve become so accustomed to standing at the far left fringe of the group that represents the far right fringe of American society that I’ve never thought to ask how I would fare in a more pluralistic setting.

My first inkling that I was no longer in Kansas probably occurred the week we discussed the contemporary relevance of the Sermon on the Mount. I fully expected some debate as to whether or not Jesus’ commands were to be taken at face value, put into practice, applied to secular social concerns. What I did not anticipate was the handful of students who were put off by the notion that Jesus would command us to do anything in the first place. This in turn led to a larger discussion as to whether authoritarian words like Lord, kingdom, obedience or submission held any currency at all for modern day Christians, in light of the ways that such language has been used throughout the church’s history to legitimize patriarchy, colonialism, slavery, and various other forms of domination and social stratification.

I left class a bit discouraged that morning. If in a Methodist school of theology we could not assume a priori that we shared a basic belief in Christ as Lord (and not simply as friend), what was our starting point for further inquiry? Fortunately, our mid-semester break fell on the following week, so I had some extra time to reflect and regain my bearings. I want to be—have to be—attentive to the struggles of those whose subjugation has been justified or ignored by my faith tradition. At the same time, I can’t simply relinquish what I consider a central feature of the Christian confession: that my life is not my own, that I am accountable to Someone who is not in turn accountable to me, that God’s thoughts are higher than mine, that to flourish as a human being requires a subordinate relation to our Creator. To hold to this conviction does not require that I dismiss the criticisms of those who consider it an oppressive worldview. It requires, rather, that I remain attentive to other ways of thinking about Christianity, that I listen to those who might be able to see my ideological blind spots, and that I still speak confidently on the basis of the faith as I’ve known it thus far.

A few of the ministerial students live openly in long-term relationships with partners of the same sex—again, a phenomenon that doesn’t come into play much at Fuller. For the last decade or so, I’ve been moving toward a more embracing posture vis-à-vis homosexuality, a shift inspired in part through research and in part by watching the cruel treatment that the gay pastor of the Old Stone Church in Carnation received from the hands of his local colleagues in the early-mid 1990s. I would still not consider myself “welcoming and affirming”—a position I fear might too quickly excuse us from asking difficult questions about sexual ethics in general. But I am becoming convinced that whatever stand a local church takes on homosexuality must be hammered out in dialogue with the gay and lesbian people within its own sphere of ministry. If we heterosexuals haven’t enough acquaintance with specific homosexuals to listen to them, know their stories, and understand their interpretations of Scripture & theology, I don’t see how we can contribute anything insightful to the discussion.

About two months ago, I stepped out of my teacher role at the beginning of class to tell the students that I would be looking at CT-scan results the next day and to ask for their prayers, since I was unusually nervous at to what I might learn. After class, Marguerite, an older student who had participated in the Civil Rights marches in the 60s, approached me to ask whether I had time after chapel to meet with a few others who wanted to pray with me. About twenty in all, nearly half the class—gay people, liberationists, Unitarians, process theologians, as well as a few who hold to the confessional Biblicism that informs my faith—gathered to lay hands on me, calling on God on my behalf, uttering words of hope and encouragement and specific biblical promises, hugging me afterward, and telling me they loved me and were journeying with me.

Together they embodied an assurance that I’ve held abstractly for several years now: that my faith community is much larger and stronger than I sometimes imagine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Cheesemakers?" "Well, anybody within the dairy industry"
Sorry Scott, had to.
The love and respect you receive from the people who meet you does not surprise me in the least. We all love you and miss you.
Todd and Family

22/5/07 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott--
Wes and I read often and greatly enjoy your blog. Our prayers are always with you.

Your experience at Claremont sounds so similar to the dissonance I have unexpectedly experienced at Candler this past year. In fact, I remember a particular class discussion where someone brought up the question of Jesus as Lord. I asked about 10 follow-up questions just to understand what the problem was as it had never entered my more traditional theological framework. Thanks for articulating the issues so clearly! That was helpful!
-Lauren Henricksen

24/5/07 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anyone interested, I've come to a way of thinking that IF you believe in eternal hell, and that most of the human race is destined to partake of it forever, then it sets up an alienating factor where those you perceive as different in belief from your own, must be really horrible to warrant such a fate. In the process, it forces one to think even the best of the human race are suspect DUE to a high number of people going to such a fate as the Bible describes. Because of the common concept of eternal punishment, and the belief of it, well, I'm surprised that so many Christians are as loving as they are to those they perceive to be headed for hell. Fundamentalist Muslims seem far less tolerant of THOSE who they perceive to be infidels. Luckilly for me, thank God, I've discovered scriptures in the very Bible itself that seem to say otherwise, which, I might add, helps reduce the alienating factor to the point where I think I'd get along well with the group you mentioned, Scott, due to the hope I'd have for them.

Sincerely,
your friend,
Bruce Ramsey
PS. The Qu'ran is far more indepth and detailed about the hell that is awaiting infidels. FAR more than the Bible, and, far more gruesome in it's depiction. Being so the case, I'm not surprised about the latest news coming out of Iraq. I mean, if you believe something that calls itself the "most compassionate, most merciful", yet, goes on and on about the horror that awaits those who don't submit to it, hey, is it any wonder we hear of the torture coming from Iraq? We seem to take on the characteristics of the Being we worship.

25/5/07 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott.

I think it's an answer to prayer that you are doing so well now.

Sincerely,
your friend,
Bruce R

25/5/07 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home