aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Saturday, June 09, 2007

personal update

I'm pleased to say that last Saturday night, through the mercies of God and Ambien, I slept like a rock for about 10 hours. Through the first part of the week, I pulled off a couple more very good nights' sleep (med-free, thank you very much, but taking advantage of an over-the-counter melatonin supplement). There have a few bad nights since then, and a general sense of fatigue throughout, but today I'm enjoying a pretty high level of energy for the first time in nearly a month--the kind of energy that, for a change, doesn't dissipate after 20 minutes of washing the dishes or folding laundry. In fact, Karla & I have put in quite a full day today, and not until late into the evening did I begin to feel noticeably drained.


But I've discovered something troubling in all this: recently I don't have the same kind of peace or courage that I had a few months ago in the face of my situation. I still maintain a fair amount of cheerfulness throughout the day, when my coping mechanisms are strong enough to keep unpleasant thoughts at a distance, but in the night I know that I am afraid, that I resent every reminder of my prognosis, that my efforts to plan the shape of any future day without regard for its unpredicted setbacks and limitations are built on an illusion. Six months ago, I found strength in looking realistically at the fact that I had an incurable disease, that I would face a difficult struggle for the rest of my life, and that I could take nothing for granted. This was the truth, and those who believe in a loving and trustworthy Being at the core of all reality need not fear the truth. Now I find strength in not thinking about it. A false strength.


There are two interpretations of this, both valid and perhaps complementary. On one level, the pressures of completing my dissertation in time to graduate next year, coupled with disturbances in my sleep patterns, have pulled me away from the kinds of mental, spiritual, physical and relational activities that renew my faith and my openness toward the world on a daily basis. If I am to carry through what I have set out to accomplish, I can't float passively from one day to the next, working when I feel good and not working when I don't. I have to exercise control over my schedule, and as the combined effects of chemotherapy and heart damage wrest that control out from my hands, I become obsessed with getting it back. This obsession, in turn, infringes upon every other dimension of my life--and certainly contributes to my insomnia.


On another level, my ability to face my situation has not really changed that much since six months ago. I'm just a few steps further down the path, and I know things experientially now that I could only envision abstractly then. I'm no longer imagining but traveling the often exhausting journey of living with cancer. The peace that sustained me over Thanksgiving and Christmas is maturing, a difficult process that calls for confrontations with new challenges, new fears, and a deeper kind of trust than I've had before.

Either way, this is a wake up call. I can't put off serious reflection on my inner disposition. This isn't about some abstract moral responsibility to maintain a positive attitude or keep a stiff upper lip (God save us from such pretensions). It is about staying physically, spiritually and relationally alive. The faux peace preserved by diverting my attention from things that don't go away will destroy me in the end. There is real, life-giving peace to be found in honest acknowlegdement, wrestling with God, and learning again to trust.

Not surprisingly, talking it through in this post has taken me a huge step in the right direction. As I've been discovering all along, keeping an online journal has played a role in my own well-being, beyond whatever benefit it may bring to others. (So yes, Greg, I will continue blogging as much as time and energy allow, dissertation be damned.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott.

If memory serves me well, you have now beaten the DEAD-line and are still alive. I'll say it's God's will, while others will say it's the chemo. Still, though, my heart goes out to you because I KNOW you're suffering horribly with something that has been pro-longed. I don't know what it is, but, I keep on thinking of you as the Ed Harris character in the movie "The Abyss", when the guy takes his leap into the crushing blackness and let's his loved ones back at the station know (through type) what he's experiencing in his effort to save them from an atom bomb, knowing, in his mind, it was going to be a "one way trip".
Well, Scott, you won't break my heart if, worse comes to worse, that you try medical pot. We'd all miss your blog (as you'd probably revert to talking about the wonders of navel lint), but, I'd be keeping the good thought that you might not be suffering as much. Seems to me, once someone escapes off with maryjane, they will no longer quite be the one we all love and care about, but, IF we know that loved one is no longer suffering, or, has the pain reduced, should we care if that person is no longer quite that person? Well, to bring up another movie to mind, "Braveheart", that guy, Wallace, refused to take any numbing stimulant, so he could be clear-headed enough to have control over himself under torture...to not say something stupid. Believe me, Scott. You DON'T have to be Braveheart here for us to keep your blogs powerful and interesting, that they are. If you go the medical pot route, you'll STILL have MY sympathy, atleast. And prayers also.

Sincerely,
your friend,
Bruce Ramsey
PS. I need ot get some tissue for my eyes.

10/6/07 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Beloved Boy, I do hope that you continue to get your required sleep. You need all the energy you can muster to continue on this journey. I do pray that you will be able to complete your dissertation, because I am under the impression that it is important to you. I pray that you are able to restablish and maintain an inner peace because I think that it will help sustain you. I cannot begin to give you advice, because I have never been where you are. I can only watch from where I am. And from where I am, I just want each day to be as good as possible. So whatever it takes for that, please do it. If a massage would help relax you, do that. If a sleeping pill or two will give you a decent night's sleep, do that. If putting your mind on other things helps temporarily, do that. A temporary relief is not a denial of your condition or of the struggle that you and Karla (and all of us who love you so very much)are facing with you. It is not in any way a denial of the truth, nor a fearing of the truth. It is just that in the indominatable human spirit there is always the possibility to remember joyful times, and to remember that love supports us in the middle of our most devasting human experiences. You say, "The faux peace preserved by diverting my attention from things that don't go away will destroy me in the end." But won't dwelling on these things destroy you just as quickly? Counting your blessings is not a denial of the truth of any facts that are going on around you; it is just a reminder that those facts are not the only thing in your life. They may well be the most devasting, but they are not the ALL of who you are or the ALL of what you are experiencing. And, my dear son, please cut yourself a break. When you don't feel like working, the only required discipline is to make it to the next day, (preferably with a good night's sleep.) You are so loved, and you are such a blessing to so many people. Love you, Mom

11/6/07 3:49 PM  
Blogger cjscalise said...

Dear Scott--
Thanks for this powerful post, which reminded me of Martin Luther's declaration that to be a true theologian must confront the pains of death and hell.
You are a true theologian.
In Christ,
--Charlie

12/6/07 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott, we just read your latest blog, certainly wish it where more cheerful. Are you working too hard? Hope you have enough energy to enjoy our family reunion, your cousins looking forward to seeing you and meeting Karla. Love, Aunt Doris and cousin Janet

17/6/07 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home