aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Friday, March 09, 2007

kelly & jenn







Aiee!! Another breathlessly hurried week--company both weekends, oral midterms at Claremont, preaching this Sunday, obliged to have all materials for the revision of Fuller's online ethics course submitted by next Friday. I keep promising that the next week things will slow down and I'll get back into the regular habit of blogging, but each week I discover that I've underestimated the work I have to do. Next week, however, I promise that things will slow down and I'll get back into the regular habit of blogging....

But hey, right now I'm up at an unexpected hour, and I want to take advantage of this to say a word of thanks to Kelly and Jennifer, from the youth group I shepherded in Carnation some twelve years ago, who came down last week to spend a few days with Karla and me. One of the great and unexpected longterm joys of youth ministry has been the cultivation of friendships with teenagers who move on to become adults who no longer simply look to me as pastor and teacher, but enter into that relationship mutually, such that they, in many ways, become my pastors and teachers. From Wenatchee, Corey, Jim, Rita, Heather, Dan and Holly; from Carnation, Kelly, Jenn, Kenny, Jared, Sarah, Amariah, Ryan, Steffan, Julie, Megan, Karly (and of course I at least have to mention Jackie here)--to greater or lesser degrees, people who have maintained contact, dropped in unforeseen with words of encouragement, or crossed paths with mine at important moments. People through whom God blesses and strengthens me in ways that may well go beyond whatever contributions I made to their lives in the first place.

Jennifer is now married and has a daughter who has brought to the surface her deep capacity to nurture and to bear in herself the needs and concerns. Kelly, who is single, has developed a quiet reflectiveness that often goes undetected under the daily demands of her job, but that slowly comes out when tapped. They came over the weekend not to be entertained, but only to be present in whatever way could be helpful to Karla and me. To see the two of you was a gift.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine that we could bless you half as much as you have blessed us - but thank you. I was moved by your thoughts. I was deeply changed by that little group and your guidance laid a wonderful foundation for spiritual growth. I hope you understand what a wonderful person you are. Thanks doesn't nearly express my gratitude.
Love you,
Riah

10/3/07 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the phone call, Sweetie. I was so glad to hear the energy in your voice. And I was relieved to hear that you had been incredibly busy. (It is all too easy for me to think that a long silence may mean some level of despair.) How great that your students have evolved into being your friends. We are all so blessed that you are loved by a huge community. Love you, Mom

12/3/07 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often reflect on my 'youth group' days and how much you are such an influencial force in my spiritual walk (even still today). All of my memories always resound with you and your words of wisdom or even a corny joke. I miss you Scott Becker! I lived vicariously through Kelly when she returned from her trip to see you and so wished that I could have been there.....
Love, Karly

13/3/07 8:53 AM  
Blogger scott becker said...

Karly!

Wonderful to hear from you! I asked Kelly about you when she was here. If you come across this response please drop me a line with your email address.

13/3/07 11:15 PM  
Blogger Play in Rain said...

when i think i'm busy, i need to read your blog... i promise to sit down and catch up soon... i'm rebelling against grammar and mature adulthood at the moment, b/c i'm mad at my paper--is it OK to be unreconciliable with inanimate objects? ;)

16/3/07 12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time don't forget to tip the photographer.

16/3/07 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A top of the marnin too ya, Scott. Your bravery is empowering.

Your friend,
Bruce

17/3/07 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott - my email is kkuecks@hotmail.com I would love to hear from you.

Karly

20/3/07 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home