aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

skinny legs and a good heart

My apologies for the long silence. I've been unusually busy over the last two weeks, finishing an overdue chapter for a collection of essays on Christians and voting, preparing weekly lectures for my course at Claremont, and working on a revision of Fuller's online ethics course. Oh, yeah, and writing a dissertation, too.

The same stretch of time has also been pretty eventful on the health front, giving me a couple of pieces of good news to report related to the water retension problems I mentioned in my previous post. The more significant item, in the big picture, is that last week's electrocardiogram showed that the excess fluid had not caused damage to my heart.

More immediately pressing on my mind (and legs and chest), however, was the question of the retension itself. The day I went in for the test, my cardiologist changed my medications in an effort to bring my weight down. It backfired at first. By Friday, I'd gained five more pounds, making it difficult to breath and nearly impossible to bend my legs more than about 60 degrees. He made a further change, and advised that if there was still no turn around I would need to check into the hospital. The second change worked. I've rid myself of 13 pounds of water in the last five days. I still have a few pounds to go, but I can see my ankles, walk without gasping, and pull my feet up under my chair. Tomorrow I plan to ride my bike out to a lunch meeting. I feel fairly normal again.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote a great mind and a great heart, "So much to be thankful for". Love you, Mom

7/2/07 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott, so grateful for the good news, hope you enjoy your bike ride, think of you often and pray for you always. Love, cousin Janet

7/2/07 12:10 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hooray! I'm thrilled to read this Scott. I'm also glad to hear that you've been able to get so much writing and teaching done even during all of this. Great news! (Have you heard the Lyle Lovett song by a similar title -- Skinny Legs (like I always wanted)?
grace and peace, Jen

8/2/07 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott! You've been in our thoughts and prayers indeed since we recently heard and now have read of all that has been happening to you in the last 4 months now. We miss you, and think of you often. Your blog is wonderful, your insight inspiring, challenging and so engaging...You have amazing stamina to be able to continue with all the work load, and a blog while balancing this with serious water retentian! What Joy, to hear of your recent break through literally! We think the world of you Scott, and believe in you, and what the Lord is teaching you through this extraordinary life change. And how he is using you to teach so many of us through it. We are more than thankful for the opportunity to have been introduced to you a little over 4 years ago. You play a significant role in our relationship in terms of the start of our marraige and the continuing lessons that we learn through your life. Thank you for sharing with us and thank you for your courage, and grateful spirit! We are thinking of you today, and sending our love and support.
Enjoy that bike ride!
God bless,
Jessica and John Figueroa

9/2/07 10:40 AM  
Blogger Dwayne and Denise Need said...

I thought that you were going to tell us you're pregnant, but I am very pleased you can see your ankles again.

Glad you're teaching again in the classroom. I don't know how you find time to eat and sleep, though, let alone make it to your excessive appointments!
Love,
Denise

9/2/07 7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you, Potsticker?

~Jenn

23/2/07 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
I haven't heard back from you and was hoping all is going well. Sounds like it. I've been praying for you daily.

When you're not busy writing, write me. That'll keep you busy.

I read Collins' book, too. (Listened to it actually). When I am not at work, I'll read your blog entry about it.

Joe Bell

26/4/07 3:12 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Scott,
I'm experimenting. Perhaps this will display my email address for you.

26/4/07 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home