aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Sunday, January 21, 2007

some good news

This week's CT-scan revealed that the tumors in my abdomen have shrunk since the end of November. The nasty side effects of the Gemzar-Xeloda combination I've been taking have not been in vain.

Speaking of which, we will be reducing my Xeloda intake to 3/4 of what I've been on for the first two cycles. Dr. Iqbal is fairly certain that the Xeloda has been responsible for the pain and swelling in my hands and feet, so we'll see how I do on this new regimen.

It's been beautiful in the mornings here at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains, so yesterday I rode my bike to the Saturday market at Pasadena High School. It's only a two-mile ride each way, but I don't want to downplay what a wonderful experience it was. Because of the swelling in my legs, I had, with tremendous regret, written off biking as one of those activities that I would no longer be able to enjoy. When I returned and realized what I had done and what I still may be able to do, I almost began to cry.

So much to be thankful for.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott, we were very happy to get the good news, love you, Aunt Doris and Janet

22/1/07 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so good Scott! We'll keep praying.

22/1/07 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DITTO with the praying!

Your friend,
Bruce Ramsey
Ps. My mom goes in tomorrow to see how the spot on HER liver is doing. Prayers please.

22/1/07 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Scott, what a wondrous gift for you to be able to stay so physically active. Your being on your bike again is evidence of an every day miracle. How blessed we are. Love you, Mom

22/1/07 5:06 PM  
Blogger Glenn said...

Thanks for the positive update. You know, I lived across the street from that Saturday market for years and only went once? Shame on me... It was great having lunch with both of you on Sunday, hope to do it again soon (we'll work around your treatments and Karla's practices). Peace, Glenn (& Shanti)

24/1/07 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
This is a voice from the past. Jenn told me about your blog. I can't help but add a quick word to say hello and tell you that I am thinking of you. Your most recent post is such an excellent reminder of the beauty the world holds and how much we have to be thankful for. I was so pleased to hear that you were able to bike to the Market. Every day is a gift and you prove that by living life to the fullest.
Love,Julie Haakenson

25/1/07 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott.

If you had an early form of liver cancer, how would you attack it? Also, did you have pain in your liver before you found out about the bile duct cancer?
Your friend,
Bruce
PS. Fantastic news that you're able to fight back at this thing and still live a bit. I pray that you'll have a lot MORE of these days.

25/1/07 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home