aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Stranger and the Fool

My devotional reading the other day led me to the story of David’s encounter with Nabal and Abigail in 1 Samuel 25. The story revolves around a wealthy landowner whose name, literally, means “fool.” (To the modern reader this raises serious questions about Nabal’s parents, but these are irrelevant to the story, so I’ll let them go.) David, on the lam from King Saul, has gathered about himself a band of several hundred bankrupt and marginalized desperados, with whom he travels the countryside in an effort to survive. Without Nabal’s knowledge, they find room in his fields to set up a temporary encampment, repaying the unintentional favor by protecting his property and workers from bandits and other threats. David eventually sends word to Nabal, informing him of their presence and services and asking for enough food to celebrate a feast day together. Nabal, incensed to learn of the company’s presence, denies the request, insults David, and ignores the testimonies of his own servants to the help that David’s men have been to them. David explodes with fury, commands his followers to take up their swords, and sets out on a raid.

Nabal’s wife Abigail emerges as the story’s hero. She learns of David’s plan and rushes out to meet him with a peace offering of food and wine. She acknowledges not only the rightness of David’s complaint against her husband, but also her own complicity in the wrong that David has suffered. Most important, she affirms that God is on David’s side, in spite of his criminal appearance, and urges him not to resort to violence to accomplish what he considers God’s purposes. David receives her blessing and warning, and relents of the vengeance he had intended to bring about. In her role as peacemaker, Abigail both guarantees justice for David and keeps him from perpetuating the injustice that he himself had experienced. (In the epilogue to the story, Nabal suffers a heart attack upon learning what his wife has done, and the widowed Abigail marries David.)

In Karl Barth’s discussion of the Atonement, Nabal stands as the personification of human stupidity before God. The deepest roots of his sin lie not in his rudeness, his wealth, or his mistreatment of David, but in his willful inability to recognize God’s gift when it stands in front of him. God had sent David to bless Nabal, but Nabal could recognize him only as a threat and a nuisance. In Nabal we see that our blindness—our sheer stupidity—before God not only robs us of our exalted status as God’s covenant partners, but causes us in turn to treat one another inhumanely, to become divided against ourselves, and to resent our human limitations. By refusing hospitality to David, Nabal doesn’t simply incur guilt; he turns away the one sent to bring him God’s Shalom.

On the other hand, Abigail here represents the path of wisdom. If I can add to Barth’s description, I might suggest that Abigail’s moral vision can be seen on three levels. Most fundamentally, unlike her husband, she recognizes David for who he is, God’s anointed one, sent to her and her people for their good. Second, she recognizes that, in spite of David’s status as an outlaw and a trespasser, he still has a claim to her hospitality. She remembers the ancient divine command to treat aliens with special honor, since her own ancestors were once aliens in the same land, and since she herself inhabits the land only as God’s guest. Finally, she acknowledges her own complicity in an economic arrangement by which David has been victimized. Although she herself has apparently never wished ill to David or to any other stranger, she has enjoyed the comforts of wealth secured through the mean-spirited policies of her husband. Therefore, she takes the first step toward reconciliation with the trespasser, coming to him in a spirit of humility, sharing with him basic provisions for living in her midst, and urging him to join her in the creation of a more just and peaceable living arrangement.

Here in Southern California, where the presence of millions of undocumented aliens has become such an unavoidable and explosive fact of our social life, this story seems remarkably relevant.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott and Karla,

I enjoy reading the different accounts in the bible. We can always learn what pleases God and what does not. Like Abigail's strength and courage to make peace in a very difficult situation and to be humble all at the same time, I admire those qualities and want to follow her wise choice not like Nabal who was haughty and proud, like you brought out he did not recognize Gods gift and was blind to it.May pride never blind us or get in our way of seeing Gods gifts and what is right in his eyes.

I am so glad that you had a good time with the family. I got to see all the pictures Linda took. I hope we do have a family reunion soon I look forward to seeing everyone. Jaymes wants to meet everyone Doris keeps talking about.

Kevin and I took the kids to universal studios over the weekend. We had a good time. Everyone else is fine we're just doing our day to day routine.Life keeps us busy.

I will keep in touch.
Love Amy

18/1/07 3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your thoughts are tough to read, yet incredible and inspiring at the same time. Jen told me the news about a month ago and shared the blog with me tonight. I won't deny that am struggling with this so I hope you can accept my awkward honesty as I try to express these thoughts to you.

Since I first heard I have wanted to let you know how much I care about what you and Karla are going through, but have held back. I guess I have been holding back because I am feeling guilty that I don’t know what to do or what to say that would even be meaningful. Though I have been horrible at keeping in touch, my thoughts, prayers, memories, and conversations have turned to you frequently over the years. You have helped shape my life and I feel like you deserve so much more from than I know how to give. There is no doubt that God has a plan for you and you will live every moment of it until the very end. I feel ashamed that I can’t relate, or offer insight like all these wonderful people who have left comments. Forgive my inadequacy, all I know to do right now is pray and let you know that I am here too and reading every word.

Jared

18/1/07 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,
I just wanted to send you a note and let you know that you are in my prayers. Karly directed me to your blog. Thank you for keeping it. I saw you on TV a few months back and tried to google you, but was unsuccessful. Just know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Megan Hartley (Trowbridge)(tommyhartley@juno.com)

18/1/07 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this Scott! Thanks for reminding me that the worst thing for me to do is to be stupid before God. Great. I am going to hell. :)

I love you very much, and not just because you are a smarty-pants.

Gigi

19/1/07 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that you were on TV until I read Megan's comment. You better tell me when something like that comes along. But, on to your comments. How interesting. I love the way you present history, whether from the Bible or from any other text. As for the current application, now, that is a conundrum. On the one hand, I so wnat to share the good that America has to offer with anyone corageous enough to seek it, or fortunate enought to have been born to it. On the other hand, it is possible that ciritcal mass will be surpassed, and we will sink, and won't be able to offer any good to anyone. Where is the balance? Where/when is it right to say,"no more."? Love you, Mom

19/1/07 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great beginning to my day. I've just read your "Stranger and the Fool" entry.

How did my pain in the butt little brother grow up to be so profound, anyway? Oh, yeah. You're one of those gifts from God that I recognized as a threat and a nuisance way back a long time ago when we were little. But it turns out you have become one of those who brings God's Shalom into the world, and certainly into our family and specifically into my spirit.

Love always from your adoring sister.

20/1/07 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,

My name is Linda Raco Seabrooke. Lynne and I went to high school together, became good friends and have managed to stay in touch throughout the years. She emailed me and told me about your situation, including your blog address.

The first thing I did, after reading her email, was log onto your website. After reading your writings, I emailed and called Lynne.

I felt compelled to write and tell you how much you have inspired me. You're spiritual, emotional and physical strength have awakened my inner spirit, which I thought had ceased to exist.

I taught special education for almost 20 years before my ankylosing spondylitis forced me to resign. I haven't worked since 2001. Your writings have inspired me to take charge of my life and do what I know I was meant to do...help others.

You truly have touched me with your words. Words are all I have to tell you that even though we have never met, you have changed my outlook on my life. Thank you so very much for giving back a part of me that I thought was gone forever.

Please "feel" what I mean when I say that you are now in my thoughts and prayers. And please know that you made a difference in someone's life.

Linda

21/1/07 6:11 PM  
Blogger Richard Dahlstrom said...

Greetings Scott... and thanks for the insight on Nadab... I'm preaching this text on Feb 11 and I'm sure you've saved me several hours of hard work!

Also...so glad that you and your bike are friends. The way you're savoring God's gifts each day are an awesome inspiration...to all of us.

25/1/07 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home