aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Friday, November 24, 2006

"Why do you ask My name?"

I’ve been asked a couple of times recently whether I feel some sense of anger or unfairness over my current situation. This is an interesting question. For some reason, of all the mental states that I have experience over the last week or two—including disappointment, sadness, peace, hope, resignation, ironic detachment and even guilt—anger hasn’t been among them.

It’s not that I won’t allow myself to be angry. Nineteen years ago, having undergone several months of chemotherapy, I found not only that I lacked the resilience to avoid feeling angry, but also that allowing myself to be angry—more to the point, to be angry at God—was an important step toward inner healing. Even Job had said, “I will give free rein to my complaint and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.” Various Psalmists complained that God had abandoned them, rejected them for no good reason, and swept them away in divine wrath. To the author of Lamentations, God seemed “like a bear lying in wait,” who “dragged me from the path and mangled me and left me without help.” In each case (with the exception of one of the Psalms citations), their unabashed anger eventuated in renewed friendship with God. It has been my experience in the past to come the profoundest sense of God’s love and compassion at the far side of an angry, open confrontation. As with Jacob at the end of Genesis 32, the limp and the blessing arise from the same encounter.

This time, however, the confrontation hasn’t yet occurred, and that suits me fine. I’ve wondered why not, though, and I suppose it involves a number of factors.

The first, to be honest, is denial. My mental state tends to be fairly primal—if my body feels good I’m happy, and if it doesn’t I’m angry—and right now I feel fine. I’ve gone from DC to Seattle to Lynden this week, and have spent most of my time doing fun things with good friends. The sheer enjoyment of this past week has somewhat mitigated my fears of what lies ahead.

Second, my life thus far has been extraordinarily rich, a fact that has been impressed upon me especially in the last couple of weeks, as people from all different moments of my past have surfaced to express their love and support. Yes, I am aware of a certain Job-like quality to my life: three bouts with cancer, heart failure, a number of related physical difficulties and a couple of major career setbacks. But there is something truly wonderful about this life that I of all people have been given. At almost every point along the way, I’ve been allowed to connect with others in such a way that my current circle of good friends includes people I knew in college in the early 80s, kids from my first youth group twenty years ago and hundreds of people who became a part of my life during my years in Carnation, Seattle, and now Pasadena, dozens of whom I would feel quite confident turning to in a moment of crisis. I think, too, that I inherited from both of my parents an ability to find tremendous pleasure in relatively insignificant things: a well-made omelet or bowl of oatmeal, catching a tiny bit of air beneath my skis, a 10-mile bike ride, or a clever turn of a phrase. My siblings are a lot of fun to be with, and I’m insanely happy in my marriage. This has been very good, and if my threescore and ten comes up a score short, I can’t really say that I’ve been cheated.

The practice of keeping an online journal has been another important factor. Blogging, I’ve found, is a different endeavor from either the public act of teaching or the private act of journaling. On the one hand, for this to be at all meaningful, I have to do it entirely for myself, without feeling constrained by the approval or disapproval of the people who read it, or by any response that I hope to evoke on their end. At the same time, however, I am aware of a large number of potential readers, and that awareness infuses the task with a healthy dose of accountability. I feel compelled to produce something more coherent and directional than the circular, introspective meanderings one might find upon thumbing through my thirty years worth of spiral notebooks. I want to say something, and that motivation guards me against getting lost in individualized sentimentality.

There’s a theological factor as well. At the center of my understanding of reality lies the narrative of God becoming a particular Jewish rebel, living among the marginalized and victimized, suffering and dying at the hands of religious and governmental powers, and rising from the dead as the firstborn of a new creation. It seems to me that this story radically calls into question any correlation between faith in a loving, sovereign God and the expectation that terrible things won’t happen.

Finally, I have to attribute some of my current mental state, albeit cautiously, to what Paul called “the peace of God, which transcends all understanding.” I feel a bit trepid here, partly because I understand “peace” in Paul’s writings to refer not to an individual’s subjectivity but to a social characteristic of the faith community, and partly because any expectation that I, unlike Jesus, should be miraculously delivered from painful, existential confrontation with whatever lies ahead smacks of the kind of hubris and hyper-spirituality which I am bound to regret. Nevertheless, mingled with the natural coping mechanisms and dispositional habits at work in me right now, I also recognize and give thanks for this sheer gift from God, a centeredness that I can’t explain or take for granted, but that has kept me on my feet for the last several days.

Tuesday I fly back to California. Wednesday I go in for a PET-scan. Thursday is the endoscopy and colonoscopy. Friday I receive my first treatment. It’s likely that a new wrestling match will begin shortly thereafter, but I can't predict it one way or another, nor would it change anything if I allowed another day's troubles to dominate my thinking today. Right now I’m well, and that’s all I can ask.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
So does that mean you are in Lynden right now? Do you fly out of Seattle? I'd love to hook up with you sometime. I miss keeping in touch with you. Hope to talk to you soon. May God give you and Karla EVERYTHING you guys need. Love you, Scott. (Karla too!) :>)

24/11/06 9:07 PM  
Blogger scott becker said...

As in Ted Trigg or Ted Halstead? Drop me a line at scottbecker@cp.fuller.edu.

25/11/06 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott I am so pleased that so many friends are appearing from your past. I know that touches you in ways you may not have expected. I am under the impression that you were surprised with so many responses. Like you, I am beginning to come back to a place of peace. That is not to say that I won't fluctuate between peace and despair. It took me a lot of years to create what has become my habitual foundation of inner peace, which has been really shaken only one other time. That was on 9/11. It has taken me a lot longer this time to even be willing to consider being peaceful about this. Resist not evil is one of my focal points. The more we resist that which we do not want, the larger it grows, fed on our own energy. So I try to keep my thoughts on what I want, not on what I fear. AT my moments of peace, I am still praying for a miracle for our family. If it shows up, great! And if it doesn't, at least we asked. Your still being here today is a miracle. Not to be greedy, but I would surely like another. Love, Mom

25/11/06 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I'm one of the people who asked about the anger/unfairness issue, I should say that I appreciated this thorough and thoughtful response.

My next suggestion for a future blog entry topic: what is your favorite kind of omelet and why? Discuss.

...OK, feel free to ignore that one. I hope the half-marathon walk went well for Karla and her mom.

26/11/06 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom. Hey, Sweetie, Thanks for the call. Thanks for reassuring me about the processes that are scheduled for Thursday. Is your oncologist keeping your cardiologist in the loop? Thanks for allowing me to go where angels fear to tread, and where mothers certainly have no business. (Into your finances) In our culture a frequently discussed topic is death and dying, except when it comes to the people we love. Then we don't want to hear about it; we don't want to talk about it; we don't want to think about it. We certainly don't want to admit or accept it. We go into an unacknowledged kind of denial. Such as when Don and I are about to travel, and I want to be certain that you children know where important papers are kept, or who to contact about our life insurance, investments, etc. And the reception is usually an uncomfortable fidgetting that suggests a preference to ignore this uncomfortable, unwanted conversation. We don't really believe that we won't come home, it is just in case. From a practical position, there are just things that people need to know. There are plans that need to be made, or at least defined. You know that you are so loved by your family, and that we all want you around for years to come, for as long as you can enjoy life. But, just in case, please communicate to Karla and/or other family members everything that you can imagine that we might just wish we knew "what Scott would like done about this." We may not want to hear them now, but we may regret later not allowing you the space to do that. And, I am just selfish enough to hope we won't need to know during my lifetime. You and I have just always been very honest with each other about the state of your health. We have known since you were twenty, how fragile life can be. Of course I feared losing you each time, from the first round with cancer, and then the second, which I think was even more frightening and certainly more difficult for you. The heart attack, and all of its residual effects. But miracles were just always there for you, and for all of us who love you. If any of the dynamics had been different, we may have lost you on any of those occasions. We are so blessed that you are still here. Miracles are greatly appreciated. Love you, Mom

26/11/06 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott--This is simply a note to say that you are being especially remembered in our thoughts and prayers, as you begin your treatment this week. May God's peace sustain you.
--Charlie & Pam

28/11/06 7:16 PM  
Blogger Richard Dahlstrom said...

To quote you:

At the center of my understanding of reality lies the narrative of God becoming a particular Jewish rebel, living among the marginalized and victimized, suffering and dying at the hands of religious and governmental powers, and rising from the dead as the firstborn of a new creation. It seems to me that this story radically calls into question any correlation between faith in a loving, sovereign God and the expectation that terrible things won’t happen.

This is the best treatise on suffering I've ever read - what more is there to say? Thanks for your thoughtful sharing. And it was very good to spend time with you last week. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

RD

29/11/06 1:17 PM  
Blogger Chris Gough said...

Scott,
Thanks for being willing to make the extra effort in the video service, and while, in truth, we had to change our songs a bit (Joy to the World, did not feel quite right after you shared) we were very blessed as a congregation and church community to have you share so openly with us. You had mentioned going to Fuller to work on a Doctorate on the community of Christ, and I felt that you were living it out to its fullest on Sunday. Thanks for your example, your wisdom is what and how to share. I am really glad that you are keeping this blog, thanks Scott! You and Karla will be in my prayers!
- Chris
ps. I almost lost it when you started talking about the ravages of cancer...that was hilarious, and your humor, among many other things, is sorely missed.

29/11/06 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home