aufhebung

thoughts personal, public and everything in between

Friday, November 17, 2006

He came with Grandma

Yesterday the weight shifted. Since June, and especially since last month, the possibility that I might undergo surgery or treatment and then get on with my life and the possibility that I might not survive this third bout have both stood in my line of vision, but the former was clearly the likelier of the two. Today, both possibilities remain viable, but the relation between them has reversed.

Poor Dr. Iqbal. She thought we already knew more than we did, so when she began telling us about patients who survive four years or more with chemotherapy, she thought she was giving us good news. The upshot is this: I have cancer in the bile duct. We’ll begin treatments in two weeks. In the meantime, we’ll continue with tests over the next few months. If we can convince ourselves that the malignancy is limited to a single location, we might be able to remove it surgically, follow up with more chemo, and actually cure it. If not, I will receive shots and pills on a regular basis for as long as my body holds up. Even given that scenario, there is a chance that in a year or two we fight the cancer back sufficiently to make me a candidate for a liver transplant, but Dr. Iqbal has warned us that it would be very unusual for that to happen.

The initial response among family members was to glom onto the most optimistic interpretation possible and play down any information that militated against it. As Todd reminds me, this is how our family does things: no matter what life throws at us, we look at the bright side and try not to get down. There’s something admirable in that, and frankly, I think that right now I need to respect whatever response works for Mom and Dad. I'm only facing what every person has to confront sooner or later; what they’re going through no one should ever have to experience.

For my part, though, I need truthfulness a lot more than I need optimism. Last night Mom said that my dying was the elephant in the room that she couldn’t bear to look at just yet. But now I am the elephant, and I want people to see me for who I am. If the only Scott Becker people can bear to think about, laugh with, or have over for the holidays is the one that’s likely to be around for another forty years, then I’ve already been turned away in favor of someone who doesn’t exist.

A single-panel comic in this morning’s LA Times shows a family gathered around the Thanksgiving table, and the angel of death carving the turkey with his scythe. A young woman leans over and tells the man next to her, “He came with Grandma.” I’m going to cut that one out and keep it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so the worse has come. The elephant fills the room and cannot go unacknowledged or unfelt. Yesterday morning I actually said to George and to Lynne (That's 2 times) that if the worst happens, then I will refuse to accept it as a death sentence; I will see it as a life sentence, because there is still time for our miracle to arrive in some form. How arrogant! That is like saying I refuse to feel it when my heart is torn out. I still hope and pray for out miracle, but the positive thinking is suddenly very fragil. For the last 35 years I have very consciously looked for the good in every situation, and attempted to maintain a sense of joy. I know that the world still has beauty, and laughter. I know that at the very core of my being, I am still joy, but I suddenly have a filter, a very dark cloud, that resists letting that through. I also know that if I allow my grief to become who I am, I will miss out on the very precious time we do have left. Since positive thinking is my default along with singing, I pick myself up, dust myself off and start the energy around this day all over again. You continue to be a blessing in our lives, and that will aways be true. The joy and richness that you have added will always be there. I love you so very much. Mom

18/11/06 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott -

I have to admit that my initial response to finding out about your cancer was the exact opposite of your family, and I have been feeling terribly guilty about not being more optimistic, but at the same time could not overcome my worries of doom and gloom due to my past experiences with cancer, particularly liver cancer.

I'm sure you've noticed some people from yester-year getting a hold of you out of the blue, and again, part of me was embarrassed and thinking that you must be thinking "Oh come on, Jenn, not another one," but I couldn't stop myself because there are people out there whose lives I know you have impacted that have lost touch without meaning to, despite the fact that they still think of you often and care for you deeply. If there is one thing I have learned through my family's experiences with this disease, it is that this is not the time to hold anything back.

Anyways, I hope that hasn't been too weird for you, and I hope my gushing isn't too overwhelming, but I really do just love you that much. :)

Jenn

P.S.
I can't wait to see you next week and Kelly and I are working out a time to come down and see you.

19/11/06 10:03 PM  
Blogger Dwayne and Denise Need said...

I hope that we can still visit you and your elephant in a week and a half.

I spent Sunday (the day after this last update) crying my way through church. The afternoon was spent cursing broken strings of Christmas lights. WWJD? The man who cursed a fig tree may have joined me in cursing the faulty wiring. Because what else can one do when one would prefer to curse God and cancer? I literally feel too small to get into a shouting match with either of them.

21/11/06 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After crying and getting angry, I still wonder why. Even with faith and hope I find this unfair. You have the strength and courage and outlook I wish I had. You are my hero.

22/11/06 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home